Treatment for H pylori infection
Key points :
- H. pylori infection occurs when a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)
infects your stomach or the first part of your small intestine.
- H. pylori infection causes no signs or symptoms and doesn't lead to any complications.
But for others, H. pylori can lead to serious complications, such as ulcers and stomach cancer.
- Signs and symptom that can occur with H. pylori infection includes :-
- An ache or burning pain in abdomen
- Frequent burping
- Weight loss
- Test and procedures used to determine H. pylori infection includes :-
- Blood test - to screen for H. pylori infection
- Endoscopy examination - During an endoscopy examination, your doctor threads a long flexible tube equipment with a tiny camera
(endoscope) down your throat and oesophagus and into your stomach and duodenum.
Using this instrument, your doctor can view any irregularities in your upper digestive tract and remove tissue samples (biopsy).
These samples are analysed for H. pylori infection.
- Treatment for H. pylori infection typically includes a combination of medications to eradicate H. pylori from your body which includes :-
- Medications to eliminate H. pylori - combination of 2 types of antibiotics are used to treat H.
pylori infection which need to be taken for at least 2 weeks.
- Medications to reduce acid in the stomach - These medication may help enhance the effectiveness of antibiotics.
It also help alleviate symptoms and promote healing.
For more infomation, please visit